This course is for anyone with an interest in the history of art and visual culture of the 20th century. It will focus on art and society in a range of different contexts from both a European and a global perspective. Rather than being a survey of individual artists or schools we will examine a series of case studies based on a set of over-arching themes. Themes include modernity and the avant-gardes, art and performance, conflicts and aftermaths, art and independence, and art and identity. Selected case studies include fin de siècle Vienna, London and the avant-garde, cabaret and modern art, the Harlem Renaissance, the Spanish civil war, and African modernisms. The course is structured chronologically and the weekly lectures are accompanied by slide presentations.
- A: Autumn Term Wednesday 16 Sept - 09 Dec 2020 - Victoria Hall (Half term 28 Oct)
- B: Autumn Term Thursday 17 Sept - 10 Dec 2020 - Online (Half term 29 Oct)
- PLEASE NOTE WE ARE ONLY TAKING BOOKINGS FOR THE AUTUMN TERM
- A: Victoria Hall £160 non-member - 12-week term
- A: Victoria Hall £130 member - 12-week term
- B: Online £160 non-member - 12-week term
- B: Online £130 member - 12-week term